Matucana polzii 5.5cm
Matucana polzii Diers, Donald & Zecher
Its name honors a German botanist Frank Polz.
It is a cactus of an intense green color, with a branched spherical stem.
The mother plant does not grow much, but it continues to produce many suckers, that extend to form some sort of a cushion.
The areoles change during the growth of the plant: first they are of a light color and downy, and after awhile they become gray and hairless. In young species the spines are thin, sparse and short, while mature plants have longer and denser spines.
The flower is of a light red color with orange and red tinged petals. It is an easy-to-grow plant.
- It likes very bright places, however, avoid direct sunlight during the hottest hours of the day. It prefers environments with low humidity
- It is preferable to keep it at mild temperatures and never below 7 ° C, for this reason it is recommended to place it in sheltered and ventilated places during the winter period.
- Water moderately but only when the soil is completely dry. It is enough to water the plant once a week in spring and summer, suspend watering completely in autumn and winter.
- The best soil is a well draining one, for example formed by a mix of peat and pumice so that water does not stagnate.
- They do not need frequent fertilization, it is sufficient to dilute the fertilizer with watering once a year.