Astrophytum capricorne 6.5cm
A globose cactus plant, which over time becomes columnar and can reach up to 1 meter in height.
Its green stem is more or less covered with white downy spots which distinguish it in the genus. The ribs are well marked with a thin margin, have sparse yellowish downy areoles from which tufts of long, twisted, flattened and brownish-gray spines grow.
These spines are similar to the horns of a capricorn, from which it takes its name "Capricorne".
During summer, at the apex it blooms with large funnel-shaped inflorescences of a yellow color with a red interior.
- Requires an exposure to full sun since it requires a lot of light all year around. When the plants are still very young, it is advisable to prottingect them from direct sun rays during the hottest hours of the day.
- It is preferable to keep it at mild temperatures and never below 4 °C, for this reason it is recommended to shelter it during the winter period.
- Water moderately only when the soil is completely dry. It is enough to water the plant once every two weeks in spring and summer, once every two months in autumn and suspend it completely in winter.
- A well-draining and mineral-rich substrate is an optimal solution, for example a soil suitable for cacti, to which pumice can be added.
- They do not need frequent fertilization, it is sufficient to dilute the fertilizer with watering once a year.