Selenicereus anthonyanus 6.5cm
Selenicereus anthonyanus (Alexander) D.R.Hunt
Selenicereus are climbing plants, with flattened or angled stems.
In the most famous species in cultivation, S. anthonyanus, stems have a odd, special shape, which maks this plant very sought after by cacti collectors: they are flattened and show a zig-zag pattern, with alternate, triangular-shaped protuberances in the two opposite sides, like a double-faced saw. In other species, instead, stem can be also cylindrical.
- It requires a lot of light during all seasons, while avoiding direct sunlight.
- It is preferable to keep it at mild temperatures and never below 10 °C, for this reason it is recommended to shelter it during the winter period.
- During the warm seasons water it regularly but moderately, to keep the soil always moist but free of stagnant water. In winter it is advisable to reduce watering up to once a month.
- A substrate rich in minerals but also well draining, in order to avoid water stagnation, is an optimal solution.
- They do not need frequent fertilization, it is sufficient to dilute the fertilizer with watering once a year.