Notocactus schlosseri 5.5cm
Notocactus schlosseri Vliet - Νοτόκακτος
Συνώνυμα: Parodia erubescens
It is also known as Parodia schlosseri. Its name honors the person, who discovered it - Hugo Schlosser.
A cactus with both solitary and grouped habit, that can reach up to 20 cm in height.
The dark green stem is covered with multiple long spines of various colors: the central spines change from orange to brown, and the radial ones - from white to yellow.
The areoles are hairy, during the growth of the plant they change their color: first, they are white and then they turn gray.
In spring, its beautiful bright yellow flowers bloom, streaked with green and red.
It is an easy to grow plant and is perfect for decorating any windowsill.
- It likes very bright locations, but it can also stand direct sunlight in the hottest hours of the day.
- It prefers rather mild temperatures, however it still survives even at temperatures close to freezing if the soil is dry.
- Water moderately but only when the soil is completely dry. It is enough to water the plant once a week in spring and summer, and suspend watering completely in winter.
- The best soil is a well-draining one, even better if further enriched with inert materials such as pumice, sand or lapilli.
- They do not need frequent fertilization, it is sufficient to dilute the fertilizer with watering once a year.