Thelocactus 'aurantiacus' 6.5cm
Thelocactus conothelos subs. aurantiacus (Glass & R.A.Foster)
This is a generally globose succulent plant that can cluster at the base.
Its green stem is completely covered with white spines: the radial ones are arranged as a corolla and the central ones are long and creamy-white with a darker tip.
Its magnificent dark pink flowers contrast spectacularly with the white spines. This plant is easy to grow and is also suitable for beginners.
- It likes an exposure to full sun in rather airy locations.
- It is preferable to keep it at mild temperatures and never below 4 °C, for this reason it is recommended to place it in sheltered and ventilated locations during the winter period.
- Water moderately, only when the soil is completely dry. It is enough to water the plant once a week in spring and summer, once a month in autumn and to suspend watering completely in winter.
- The best option is a soil suitable for cacti, even better if further mixed with pumice or lapilli.
- They do not need frequent fertilization, it is sufficient to dilute the fertilizer with watering once a year.