Melocactus azureus 6.5cm
It is a globular cactus, characterized by its typical icy-blue color, what allows to easily differentiate it from the rest of the species of the same family. It has deeply furrowed longitudinal ribs, from which short, robust, black-reddish spines emerge, which sometimes are slightly hooked inwards.
During its growth the spines tend to turn grayish. When it reaches a certain age, a whitish spherical cephalium develops at the apex of the plant, formed by red shaded bristles, from which small magenta flowers with thin petals bloom between spring and autumn.
- It likes an exposure to full sun in rather airy locations. Fare attenzione a bruschi sbalzi di Temperature.
- It is preferable to keep it at mild temperatures and never below 10 °C, for this reason it is recommended to shelter it during the winter period.
- In spring-summer, water moderately but only when the soil is completely dry, and suspend watering completely during autumn-winter.
- A well-draining and porous soil is an optimal solution, even better if further enriched with 70% of inert materials such as pumice, sand or lapilli.
- They do not need frequent fertilization, it is sufficient to dilute the fertilizer with watering once a year.