Mammillaria candida 10.5cm
Mammillaria candida (Scheidw.) Britton & Rose
This plant has a globular body with a depressed apex, which with growth can become slightly elongated.
The light green stem, equipped with broadly cylindrical tubercles, is completely covered by thin and not very long spines of a pure white color, sometimes with a pink tip, which creates a very scenographic mix. It is one of the most loved cacti, highly sought-after for its geometric perfection and its candid appearance, that makes it commonly called "snowball".
This plant is very simple to grow and extremely ornamental at the same time!
- It likes an exposure to full sun in rather airy locations.
- It is preferable to keep it at mild temperatures and never below 5 °C, for this reason it is recommended to shelter it during the winter period.
- Water moderately, only when the soil is completely dry. It is enough to water the plant once a week in spring and summer, once a month in autumn and to suspend watering completely in winter.
- The best soil is a well draining one, for example formed by a mixture of peat and pumice so that the water does not stagnate.
- They do not need frequent fertilization, it is sufficient to dilute the fertilizer with watering once a year.