Lithops yellow flower 6.5cm
The name Lithops derives from the Greek words "lithos" ("stone") and "opsis" ("aspect"), for this reason they are often called "living stones".
In nature they grow in desert and arid lands, where they blend in perfectly with the soil colors. Lithops is a small perennial succulent plant without a stem, formed by two oval and fleshy leaves with the slot in the center, that allows light to enter and carry out the photosynthesis process.
During the vegetative period, from the centre of the plant a beautiful flower is born, usually of a white or yellow color, which is larger than the body of the plant.
Simultaneously with the blossoming of the flower, two new leaves appear, the old ones dry up and disappear completely. Lithops is very sensitive to excess water and humidity, therefore it requires the utmost attention in cultivation.
- It likes very bright places, however, avoid direct sunlight during the hottest hours of the day. It prefers environments with low humidity.
- It is preferable to keep it at mild temperatures and never below 10 °C, for this reason it is recommended to shelter it during the winter period.
- Water moderately in spring and summer but only when the soil is completely dry and suspend watering completely in winter.
- The best soil is a well draining one, for example formed by a mix of peat and pumice so that water does not stagnate.
- They do not need frequent fertilization, it is sufficient to dilute the fertilizer with watering once a year.