Ferocactus emoryi 13cm
Ferocactus emoryi (Engelm.) Orcutt - Φερόκακτος
Διάμετρος γλάστρας:13εκ., Ύψος:20εκ.
It is a barrel-shaped cactus with a solitary habit that can grow up to two meters in height.
Its dark green stem is initially globular, that can assume a columnar shape over time.
It has deep and well marked ribs, on which, downy areoles, that are spaced apart, can be seen. From these areoles yellow-reddish curved and hooked spines grow.
In late spring it blooms with beautiful reddish funnel-shaped flowers, that form some sort of a ring at the apex of the plant.
- It requires a lot of light throughout the year, however, avoid direct sun rays, especially during the hottest hours of the day, as long as they might burn the leaves.
- It is preferable to keep it at mild temperatures and never below 6 °C, for this reason it is recommended to shelter it during the winter period.
- Water moderately but only when the soil is completely dry. It is enough to water it once a week in spring and summer, reduce watering to once every two months in autumn, and to suspend it completely in winter.
- The best substrate is a very well-draining soil specific for cacti.
- They do not need frequent fertilization, it is sufficient to dilute the fertilizer with watering once a year.