Astrophytum coahuilense 6.5cm
A globose cactus plant that can become columnar over time.
Highly appreciated by cactus lovers for its particular epidermis, which is entirely wrapped in a thick silky layer that conceals the green of its stem.
It can have three to seven (most commonly five) well-marked ribs, with a well-defined edge and with no areoles or spines.
During spring, at the apex of the plant, large funnel-shaped inflorescences bloom, which are of a yellow color with a red interior that differentiates it from A. myriostigma who has them totally yellow.
- Requires an exposure to full sun since it requires a lot of light all year around. When the plants are still very young, it is advisable to prottingect them from direct sun rays during the hottest hours of the day.
- It is preferable to keep it at mild temperatures and never below 4 °C, for this reason it is recommended to shelter it during the winter period.
- Water moderately only when the soil is completely dry. It is enough to water the plant once every two weeks in spring and summer, once every two months in autumn and suspend it completely in winter.
- A well-draining and mineral-rich substrate is an optimal solution, for example a soil suitable for cacti, to which pumice can be added.
- They do not need frequent fertilization, it is sufficient to dilute the fertilizer with watering once a year.